Okay… a little sawdust here and there…

Air University Library's Index to Military Per...
Image via Wikipedia

I’ve been working on the blog behind the scenes the last few days where I can get an hour or so from work and sleep. The theme looks pretty plain-jane right now, but its the new “Twenty Ten” theme, which is supposed to “take full advantage of WP 3.0.” The jury’s still out on that one.

It all started innocently enough. I thought I might simply do an auto-update. But that wouldn’t work. So I thought, hey… why don’t I just ftp the new files over after a backup?

That’s when I found out that I would need MySQL 5+ for a database rather than the much earlier version I had.

Okay… then I figured I’d simply update the database after a backup. Right? Right.

Turns out my webhost has a limit of just under 3 MB for an SQL database import. Mine was over 80 MB.

But, after doing some copy/paste jobs from the old database tables to the new database via queries, I have it mostly up to date. I’m not sure I’ll go back to the previous theme or just tweak this one, I haven’t figured out what the enhancements truly are yet. But I need to repair some image links and some miscellaneous formatting here and there. I can’t seem to get my Amazon widget working. And the silly characters that litter old posts when the database was updated will probably just have to stay. It seems special characters, inverted commas and apostrophes don’t import very well.

Ah well….. bear with me. 🙂

Enhanced by Zemanta